- Expedition 349 - Placing whole-round cores in the core rack (photo courtesy of JRSO; CC0/PDM)
- Expedition 353 - Bringing the last core of the expedition onto the catwalk (photo courtesy of JRSO; CC0/PDM)
- Expedition 351 - Lowering the vibration-isolated television (VIT) system into the moonpool (photo courtesy of JRSO; CC0/PDM)
- The JOIDES Resolution in port in Yokohama, Japan (photo courtesy of JRSO; CC0/PDM)
- Expedition 352—Samples selected for postexpedition research (photo courtesy of JRSO; CC0/PDM)
- Examining rock samples at the IODP Bremen Core Repository, Germany (photo by V. Diekamp/MARUM, CC BY-NC-ND)
- D/V Chikyu (photo courtesy of JAMSTEC; CC BY-NC 4.0)
- Exp 357 offshore science party (photo by Y. Morono, CC/BY-SA)
- Deploying the MARUM seabed drill system MeBo70 for Exp 357 (photo by D. Smith/ECORD, CC/BY-SA)
New SEP Co-Chair selected: The JOIDES Resolution Facility Board has named University of Texas geophysicist Sean Gulick as the next co-chair of the Science Evaluation Panel. Sean will replace outgoing co-chair Dave Mallinson effective October 1.
Exp 354 publication: IODP Proceedings vol 354 (Bengal Fan) is now published.
Exp 365 video: The final installment of Exploring the Fault Trace is now on YouTube, including connecting the Long-Term Borehole Monitoring System to the DONET cabled seafloor network.
New Scientific Drilling: Scientific Drilling volume 21 is now available!
NSF Dear Colleague letter seeks expressions of interest from U.S. institutions/organizations re: providing marine seismic capabilities for academic research. This capability is critical for IODP. Written responses due Nov 11.
Interested in participating in upcoming JR expeditions? Sign up for the Sept 16 informational webinar for Exp 372 (Creeping Gas Hydrate Slides and Hikurangi LWD) and/or the Oct 1 informational webinar for Exp 375 (Hikurangi Subduction Margin Observatory) and Apply to Sail by October 1.
Save the date during Fall AGU: The IODP Town Hall Meeting is planned for Wednesday evening, Dec 14, at the J.W. Marriott San Francisco (details to follow). Meeting and hotel registration for the 2016 AGU Fall Meeting is now open.
Pushing the limits of knowledge about life on Earth, scientists aboard Chikyu and at the Kochi Core Center are exploring the complex response to temperature of microbial communities living in the seafloor near the Muroto Transect, a high-heat flow area of the Nankai Trough. The expedition will drill the entire sedimentary depth and into ~50 m of basaltic basement for a total target depth of 1210 m beneath seafloor, retrieving core samples at various temperature intervals and logging the temperature depth profile in detail. The team will also install a Temporary Temperature Observatory (TTO), a complex string of about 50 sensors whose exact design will be guided the detailed formation structure revealed by preliminary analysis of the cores taken during drilling. daily reports * science FAQs * scientist blogs
The December 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami caused by a Mw 9.2 earthquake devastated coastal communities, killing over 250,000. IODP Expedition 362 aims to examine the role of seafloor sediments and their potential effect on seismogenesis and tsunamogenesis in this part of the North Sumatra seismogenic zone. The rupture area of the 2004 earthquake was focused beneath a distinctive plateau of the accretionary prism, where input materials are primarily a thick sequence of sediments related to the Bengal-Nicobar fan. Expedition 362 will sample these input materials at two drill sites, analyze their properties, and log downhole temperature and pressure conditions to study sediment deposition rates, diagenesis, physical properties, and fluid composition, leading to a clearer picture of how input sedimentary rocks affect the plate boundary slip system and implications for seismic slip here and in similar subduction margins. facebook * Twitter * ship reports * press release
- Expedition 365: Exploring the Fault Trace Part 1
- Expedition 365: Exploring the Fault Trace Part 2
- Expedition 365: Exploring the Fault Trace Part 3
- Exp 365: Long Term Bore Hole Monitoring System
- Expedition 361: SAFARI Episode 1
- Expedition 361: SAFARI Episode 2
- Expedition 361: SAFARI Episode 3
- Expedition 361: SAFARI Episode 4
- Expedition 365: Exploring the Fault Trace Part 4
- Looking for Life - IODP Expedition 337